Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Enigmatic Chocolate Tofu Mousse

Here’s an enigma wrapped in a riddle – decadent dark chocolate paired with healthy silken tofu. In a dessert that looks and tastes just like rich, indulgent chocolate mousse. What?? Lead me to it!
This recipe actually came about because I had a pack of silken tofu that was fast approaching its use-by date – actually, it may have been a day past, but don’t tell anyone. The other half does not really like anything that even whispers “I’m quite a healthy food, y’know”, so I had to find some way of disguising the normally placid (neé boring?) nature of the tofu before it could be served up.
Now I don’t know who came up with this idea of making Chocolate Tofu Mousse (probably not a Frenchman), but once you get over the slightly medicinal soybean-ish flavour of the ‘mousse’, it’s really quite nice. That description probably doesn’t do it justice, but suffice to say that the anti-health food nut gobbled down most of this dessert and came back asking for more.  High praise indeed for food that is borderline ‘off’ (I told you not to tell anyone!)

Chocolate Tofu Mousse
serves 4
Ingredients
300g soft silken tofu
200g dark or milk chocolate, broken into pieces
1 tblsp maple syrup
½ tsp vanilla extract
Method
1.  Process the tofu: Put the tofu in a bowl and use a stick blender (or a normal blender) to process the tofu until it is smooth. Set aside.
2. Melt the chocolate: Place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water (do not let the water touch the bowl).  Stir until the chocolate is melted, then let cool slightly.
3. Gently combine the tofu, chocolate, maple syrup and vanilla together until there are no streaky bits, then spoon into 4 small cups or glasses. Refrigerate until set, about 2 hours, then serve.

Ingredients, including soft silken tofu, milk and dark chocolate, maple syrup and vanilla.

The mousse looks lusciously smooth after the ingredients are mixed together, but it still needs time in the refrigerator to set.


Ahem, this sort of reminds me of Foster Clark's tinned chocolate pudding...
Tastes much nicer, though!
----
Apropos of nothing...
Here are pictures of a curious Tabitha cat.

What's that? What's that? I haven't seen that thing before. Is it food? Gimme a closer look.

Oh. It's just another camera*. 
Get that effing thing out of my face.

* I got a new camera, this one.

7 comments:

  1. LOL! Snazzy new camera :D I have to say that you're not selling it with the medicinal taste ;) but I def want to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, classic cat pics right there. This recipe should have been called 'naughty and nice' LOL LIKE how you've blended the two core ingredients

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum. Your last photo did it for me. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos! I actually love chocolate tofu mousse :) The taste just reminds me of soy milk or a soy latte. Yours looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks absolutely delicious! I would love to try some.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so smooth and light! Who would have thought tofu could have looked this luscious and rich! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin