Friday, December 10, 2010

Espresso jellies


I read somewhere that Jellies are going to be the next big thing. Or rather, the next big thing for this month, at least.  They are talking about fantastical jellies in fancy moulds, in the shape of castles and mermaids and in wonderful flavours like Cosmopolitan cocktail(!).

Well, if you've come here for that, there's nothing to see here.  I do, however, have some classy espresso coffee jellies inspired by Donna Hay.  This is an easy recipe that produces a dessert that can be jazzed up any way you like and it certainly looks impressive topped with raspberries like I've done here. If raspberries aren't in season, then other berries, or vanilla-scented whipped cream, are just as splendid.

Chocolate Espresso Jellies
Serves 4

Ingredients
3 tsp gelatine powder
2 tbsp warm water
2 cups (500ml) strong ground coffee
1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar
180g dark chocolate, chopped
1/4 cup (60ml) Marsala or coffee liqueur
½ cup (125ml) pouring cream
whipped cream or fresh berries, to serve

Method
1.  Place the gelatine and water in a bowl and stir to combine. Set aside for 5 minutes or until the gelatine is absorbed.
2.  Place the coffee and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Bring to the boil and cook for 30 seconds. Remove from the heat, add the gelatine mixture and stir until dissolved. Set aside to cool for 20 mins. Pour the mixture into 4 x 1 cup capacity glasses and refrigerate for 2-3 hours (or overnight) until set.
3.  Place the chocolate, Marsala and 1/2 cup of the cream in a saucepan over low heat and stir for 2-3 minutes or until chocolate is melted and smooth. Set aside to cool.
4.  Spoon the cooled chocolate mixture over the set jellies and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
5.  Top the chocolate-layered jellies with the cream or berries before serving.

Recipe adapted from Donna Hay magazine
Ingredients, including cream, caster sugar (I used raw caster sugar), gelatine, dark chocolate and beloved Kahlua liqueur. I also used a strong blend of hazelnut-flavoured coffee and it added a richness to the flavour of the jelly. 
I also added some Kahlua to the jelly mixture...

Make up the jellies first, then add the chocolate layer after the jellies have set. I used less chocolate than the original recipe and would probably have a thinner layer of chocolate again next time (it's quite rich and sweet).
top photo: Tabitha cat spies a noisy bird on a neighbouring rooftop. Shoo!!

Raspberries are in season, though still sooo expensive. They are worth it, though, for the tart sweetness they add to this dessert. And they look beautiful, don't they?
Like I said, beautiful...

17 comments:

  1. These are definitely not your momma's traditional fruit jellies! I love the idea of an espresso jelly. An adult version of a childhood treat.

    Next big thing, eh? Another bandwagon to jump on. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Espresso jelly. Classy! I might add a little alco in there.. festive mood!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow...this looks so chic..hehe. so jellies the new black then? for this month anyways...hehe. i had agar agar today...so that makes me kinda up to date.
    your photos are awesome as always!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy, Bel! I love anything coffee or espresso. These sound so delicious, and they look so beautiful. Your photos really show how elegant this treat is. Ooh, and it's kind of perfect for Christmas with whipped cream...Yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a huge coffee fan. Your expresso jellies look delicious Bell.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks fantastic! If jelly is the next big thing then I guess I had better get back to experimenting with agar agar.. my last experiment with gelatine free panna cotta went well, so why not carry on where I left off I suppose! :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. These desserts look fanfreakingtastic! Excellent shots.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a fantastic pick me up - especially with the warm weather we're having - love the additions of raspberries!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fabulous way to get my caffeine on in the warm summer season. It looks so striking with the berries on top!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These expresso jellies are stunning. Wow, perfect for the holidays. Thanks for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your photos look like magazine covers - good ones! These are very festive while being something a bit different. I am going to bookmark this for my next dinner party in the festive season! Thanks Bel.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jellies are always a big thing to me! and these look fantastic mmmm love the contrast in colour and flavour

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look simply amazing, a perfect summer dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  14. ohh la la! these look very decadent and tres beautiful indeed!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would be indulging my love of fresh raspberries much more often if they were more affordable... Gorgeous desserts..!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oooh ahhh, I love pretty jazzed up jelly! And yes, the raspberries look super gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin