Friday, December 3, 2010

Chorizo haloumi skewers

I have a problem. It's this - what do I make for dinner when I just want something salady (read: healthy and not too calorific) and 'someone else' wants something meaty (read: fat-laden and filling)?

Well, I'm not going to prepare two meals, if that's what you're suggesting. I have enough trouble deciding what to have for breakfast, morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea, let alone the evening meal.  The solution is simple - have two smallish 'courses' to satisfy us both.

This meal marries the versatile sausage, chorizo, with the multi-talented cheese, haloumi.  Bring them together on some skewers, and combine with a chickpea and zucchini salad, and is everybody happy? You bet your life we are!

Chorizo and haloumi skewers with chickpea salad
serves 2

Ingredients
1 x 400g can chickpeas (garbanzos), rinsed and drained
1 zucchini (courgette), thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 small red chilli, chopped
¼ cup mint leaves
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons olive oil

250g haloumi, chopped
1 chorizo, sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil, extra

 Method
1.  Place the chickpeas in a bowl and lightly crush with a fork. Add the zucchini, garlic, chilli, mint, lemon juice and olive oil and toss to combine.
2.  Place the haloumi, chorizo and extra oil in a bowl and toss to combine. Thread onto skewers.
3.  Heat a large non-stick frying pan over high heat and cook the skewers for 2 minutes on each side or until golden.
4.  Serve the skewers with the chickpea salad.

Recipe from donnahay.com.au


Some of the ingredients for this simple meal: zucchini, chilli, chickpeas, chorizo and haloumi

The chorizo and haloumi skewers at the fore...

...and the chickpea and zucchini salad also has a starring role.


19 comments:

  1. Yummy! I am not sure I have ever prepared the skewers before...Yours looks mouthwatering and seems easy to prepare too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often find that the days that I have something meaty planned are the days when I want something salady. this is the perfect solution! Mmm halloumi. So good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks inviting! Good shots by the way

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like a perfect supper! Both recipes really sound fabulous and look like the perfect pairing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, I like this meal, Bel. There certainly is something for everyone. Plus, it's all so pretty. That somehow makes good food taste even better:)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely light but tasty salad offset with the salty fatty goodness of haloumi and chorizo - the perfect combo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm salty. I had pan-fried chorizo adorning my red onion & pumpkin soup last night. Chorizo is in the air

    ReplyDelete
  8. chorizo + haloumi together on a stick sounds like a perfect dinner to me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have trouble deciding what to have for dinner too! The chorizo and haloumi skewers sounds like a lovely, easy dish to prepare...

    ReplyDelete
  10. A little of everything in moderation always does one good! What a lovely combination of flavours and one chorizo between 2 people isn't going to blow out the calorie count by a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Bel I just awarded you the One Lovely Blog award because your's is :) Check out the 'conditions' on my latest post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Haloumi how I love it. Its so delicious and squeeky. Fantastic with Chorizo. Nice photos Bel.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have exactly the same dilemma! looks like youve found a pretty good solution tho! love chorizo!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great meal...love the flavors and the ingredients in it...specially chorizo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. i was expressing my love for chorizo only just the other day! nothing is better than thin slices of it pan fried until crispy...but with haloumi would be beyond delicious this looks so yum

    ReplyDelete
  16. That does sound pretty delicious. Great combination. I've never tried making skewered food in a skillet/pan...always on a grill...but your method sounds much nicer for the cold winter.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You sure know how to indulge. This is perfect summer skewer... now bring on better weather please.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Heheh, "multi-talented cheese" - I couldn't agree more about this comment for haloumi! And I'm planning on roasting some chorizo as well just to go with stuff. So easy and flavourful to satisfy tastebuds.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The word "chunkalicious" comes to mind when looking at those skewers. I hate myself for having such a word come so readily to mind ;)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin